Adam B. Smith, DO, FACOS, FASMBS
Dr. Adam Smith is Board Certified surgeon who was also one of the first surgeons in North Texas to perform the Lap Band procedure. He is also a successful Lap Band Patient and is well known throughout the weight loss industry as an advocate for the Lap Band.
Dr. Smith has performed well over 3,000 Lap Band procedures. He has been a faculty member for Allergan, the Lap Band manufacturer, since 2002 and most recently has been known for his pioneering work in single incision Lap Band surgery. Dr. Smith was the first surgeon in the DFW metroplex to perform a Lap Band procedure using the “Spider” single incision platform.
Dr. Smith is a native of Ardmore, OK. Prior to entering private practice in 2004, he was director of the general surgery residency at the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center for over ten years.
- Fellowship: Mini Fellowship Bariatrics, UT Southwestern
- University of North Texas Health Science Center
- Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas
- Internship: Tulsa Regional Medical Center
- Medical School: College of Osteopathic Medicine of Oklahoma State University
- Undergraduate: University of Oklahoma, B.S. in Geology
Certifications / Recognitions
- Fellowship American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
- American Osteopathic Board of Surgery
- Fellow American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- Presidential Citation American College of Osteopathic Surgeons for excellence in education
Professional Organizations / Associations
- Director of Bariatric Surgery at Specialty Surgery Center of Ft. Worth
- Faculty Member for Allergan Medical
- Secretary Treasurer, American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- General Surgery In-Service Exam Chairman 1996 - 2007
- University of North Texas Associate Clinical Professor
- Council for Advances in Bariatrics
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Fellow American College of Osteopathic Surgeons and American Osteopathic Association
- Texas Osteopathic Medical Association and Texas Medical Association
- Tarrant County Medical Society and Texas Association of Bariatric Surgeons
Why do I perform the Lap Band procedure?
“I struggled with my weight for many years. After being amazed at the success of my patients with the band, I underwent Lap Band surgery in 2002. I have lost 100 pounds and kept it off. I believe I have a special understanding of what it takes to be successful with the Lap Band that has allowed me to create a comprehensive program tailored to the success of our patients.”
Dr. Smith is an independent physician engaged in the private practice of medicine.